“Angel Russell fits into an interesting and quite rare area of folk music, that being the realm of gypsy folk. The influences, like the lifestyle, are blurred between various cultures. You can hear it in Russell’s songs, like the seductive “Sail Away” and the Spanish “Reperar Mi Vida”. Gypsy folk is rare, but the artists that embody the description do so wholeheartedly — just look at Ramona Cordova. In this manner Russell has traveled; her family is from Mexico and she grew up in San Diego. She began recording her debut album in Seattle, continued it in Portland, and finished it in Massachusetts. Gypsy folk artists incorporate highly infectious melodies with obscurities such as knee-slaps and foot stomps; then there’s the various accompanying instruments. Seduction and story are typically the themes, and Angel Russell is a master of both – her lyrics tell sultry stories of passion and lust, and the theme carries through in her vocals. Her latest work is a homemade LP titled Sunken Ships And Parlor Tricks, available now from Sergeant Sparrow Records. Within you’ll find the aforementioned genre at the core, backed by a latin feel, hints of jazz, and even slight traces of punk and pop.” -Fensepost.com
- The Fall 2012
- Sunken Ships and Parlor Tricks (2009) Indie Gypsy Jazz full with trumpets, hand claps, harmonized vocals and rhythmic guitars. Available from sgtsparrow.com, and Aboveground Records, Martha’s Vineyard Ma. It was mastered by electronic musician Djaq Anderson of San Diego.
- Happy Birthday Mister (2008) a five song EP of electronic indie pop, written, performed, and recorded by Angel.
- Florida (2006) Ambient piano based indie folk. Written, performed, and recorded by Angel.
- Birthday: (2005) Indie Folk EP written and recorded in one day as an creativity experiment.
Bands and Recording:
- Trumpet player on Free Society, an album by Johnny Society. 2012
- Trumpet player on We’ll Be All Right, an album by Nina Violet. 2011
- Guitar/trumpet player, songwriter and vocalist for the Swamp Angels formed in the summer of 2010. They have one self titled release and were featured on Kitchen Sessions, Boston. 2011
- Formed Iridescent Pheasant with Singer Songwriter Adam Howell. They have one release: Bird 2oo9 (Available from sgtsparrow.com and Aboveground Records Martha’s Vineyard, Ma) 2010
- Touring with Nina Violet playing trumpet and mellophonium. 2009- 10
- Recorded on The Walking’s Wanderings and Distractions playing guitar and singing 2008